Michigan Partners for Freedom is a grassroots coalition of people with disabilities, family members, advocates, organizations and other allies working together to build statewide demand for self-determination.
We uphold the principles of self-determination for all Michigan citizens: Freedom, Responsibility, Authority, Support and Confirmation.
Our story begins in April 2004, when the Michigan Developmental Disabilities Council (MDDC) sponsored a group to take part in the Immersion Learning about Self-Determination in Atlanta, sponsored by the Center for Self-Determination. The Michigan group included self-advocates,family members, MDDC Council staff and members of several Michigan service providers.
At the event, the group drafted a plan to speed up progress and expand self-determination in Michigan. After returning home, they continued their work, recruited more members and polished a plan of action. In this effort, the Michigan Partners for Freedom was created.
From the Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities Administration at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services:
- Fact Sheet on Supports and Living Arrangements
- How Person Centered Planning Works For You
- Person-\Centered Planning Revised Practice Guideline
- Self-Determination Technical Advisory
- Self-Determination Brochure
- Self-Determination Dialogue
- Self-Determination Policy
Thoughts & Stories:
- Community Building Made Simple
- I Believe That…
- My life before and after Self-Determination
- The journey of thousand miles starts with one step
- Tireless Advocate Educates Rural Community
- Wendys Story
- What Is Self Determination
- MPF Presentation by Ryan & David
- Kalamazoo CMH’s S-D Video
- DDI’s Possibilities Video Series
- Support at Home CLS Video
- Michigan Medicaid Provider Manual
- Advocacy with Legislators Guide
- An Affirmation of Community
- Mike Head Presentation on Individual Budgeting
- MPF Brochure
- MPF Song Lyrics
- What do the Principles of Self-Determination Mean for Me
- Independent PCP Facilitator Information
- Information about the new rules for Home and Community Based Services
- “Utilization of Fiscal Intermediaries in Michigan’s Community Mental Health System” – by the Center for Urban Studies at Wayne State University
- SIS (Support Intensity Scale) Implementation Manual
Alpena, Bay City)
The Arc of Midland
Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids)
Community Drive, Inc.